Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I know, I'm slow.

Well, it's better late than never right? Well I've started a new traditional animation test, something for me to work on when Maya beats down my will to animate. Also I hope to actually take it to completion this time. So I'm revisiting my character Ciro, the seafaring reluctant hero. (Not a pirate, but close) So I started to sketch him again a little, try to improve some of my earlier drawings of him, I still have some work to do, James Lopez's crits of him made it look so easy.
I also did some preliminary thumbs of how to stage the animation, some of the possible poses and what sort of business he does in the scene. I'll thumbnail more in the next few days to figure out my key poses, right now it's just exploration.

This test is similar to the first one I had started but this time without all the walking in 3/4 in perspective, and a bit more fun. He's going to jump down into the cargo hold of a large ship, motion for a crew member to toss him down a sack of some heavy material, flour or grain perhaps. And then he'll place it on top of a barrel. It'll slide off the barrel, being tired of it Ciro leaves it, and returns up to the deck of the ship. I'm thinking about 30 seconds total.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you are working on something! I thought you might be playing video games all day ;)

How long do you think it will take to animate that scene you described?

Matthew Long said...

I don't know, since I'm not solely focusing on this project, so hopefully by Thanksgiving I'll have it finished.

Miyuki Kanno Long said...

Hey Matt. It's looking good ;) I will suggest though to do only 1-5. And if you have time you can finish the rest. But from knowing you, it's better to forcus on showing weight and to have really good animation in 15 sec, than have a long test with clappy unfinished animation. Good luck!

Ryan Kramer said...

it's ambitious, but if you pull it off it'll be an awesome test! good luck...and i'm gonna hold you to that thanksgiving deadline :)